Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 1998 09:21:00 -0400
From:      "Jeays, Mike" <JEAYS@statcan.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ATAPI devices - more problems

Thanks to those who have helped me in getting an Iomega ATAPI Zip drive to
work.  After a weekend of experiments with a fresh 2.2.6 installation, I
found the following:

I can only get an ATAPI device (CD-ROM or Zip drive) to work if it is the
only device on an IDE controller.  If I put two ATAPI devices on the same
controller, "mount" hangs, and causes the entire system to crash if I try a
second time.

I cannot get either ATAPI device to work as a slave to an IDE drive.
 FreeBSD doesn't see them.  I haven't tried with the ATAPI drive as master
and the IDE disk as slave; I ran out of patience, and it would not solve my
problem of configuring two IDE drives and the two ATAPI devices.

In each configuration, the drives were correctly identified in the "dmesg"
listing at boot time.

On the positive side, the Zip drive by itself functions very well, either
with an MS-DOS file system, or with a UFS.

This was done on a 48MB Pentium 120, with a motherboard by Gigabyte.

Finally, all the configurations I tried worked flawlessly under Win 95,
which configured itself correctly and automatically.  I hate to admit they
have done quite a good job here...

I could summarize the instructions for setting up the Zip drive as an SGML
section for the handbook if anyone is interested, although it would almost
all be from information supplied by others.  I expect the LS120 is very
similar.