Date:      Sun, 04 Nov 2012 13:05:31 +0100
From:      Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: r300-based boards... Are they now officially a lost cause?

On 11/04/12 03:20, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> In message<50958B70.1010605@freebsd.org>, you wrote:
>
>> First of all, I apologize if I came of as slightly annoyed or cranky
>> before.
>
> No no!  Not at all.  Did I?
>
> If anyone did, it was probably me, and I apologize.

You didn't come off as cranky in my eyes, don't worry about it. :)

>>> Question:  How can I know which things are and are not "xorg related ports"?
>>> Will the following command sequence give me a complete list?
>>>
>>>     pkg_info | fgrep xorg | awk '{print $1}' | xargs -n 1 pkg_info -r
>>
>> That seem to give a fairly complete list.  If you have the time and
>> computing power, the best option is probably to reinstall all ports from
>> scratch.
>
> OK.  I think the set of ports works out to almost the same thing either way
> (i.e. just about everything).

Probably... Xorg related stuff touches a lot of things, and on resonably
fast hardware it's usually easier and less time-consuming to just wipe
everything and start from scratch rather than hunt down the ports that
needs rebuilding.

>> It might also be possible to use a tool such as portmaster or
>> portupgrade, but I have never tried this myself.
>
> That was my plan.  I use portupgrade.
That can work, allthough I have not tried myself.  Make sure to
recompile everything that depends on xorg related stuff (such as DEs and
Firefox and so on) just in case.  There is probably some way to get
portmaster to do this recursive build for you.

>>> So, um, if I understand correctly "Mesa" currently contains:
>>>
>>>         1)  code to implement an API called "Mesa3d", and...
>>>
>>>         2)  code to implement a rather different API called "Gallium3D"
>> ...  As far as I know, this API has always been unsupported on
>> FreeBSD (this might be completely wrong though), so the chances are you
>> are not using it.
>
> By "this API" I assume that you mean "Gallium", correct?
Yes.

> I need to find a clean disk first, or one that I can wipe.
>
> (I have a kind of nice setup here with removable drive trays, so I can
> swap disks on my #2 machine almost as easily as swaping in a fresh roll
> of toilet paper.)

I have to get one of those...  That sounds very convenient, especially
when juggling multiple versions of things :)
Regards!
--
Niclas Zeising