Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 17:25:48 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        kjc@csl.sony.co.jp, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth throttling etc.

On Tue, Apr 28, 1998 at 10:57:56AM +0200, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> Playing with ipfirewall and mbufs, i am hitting a problem related to
> the size of mbufs.
>
> In my implementation, i need to add a couple of fields (6 bytes total)
> to the struct ip_fw, bringing its size to 112 bytes.
>
> setsockopt() fails for sizes>108 bytes.
>
> there are two ways i can save the space:
>
>   1) reduce IP_FW_MAX_PORTS to 7 instead of 10
>   2) move counters and statistic info (timestamp) to the end
>      of the struct ip_fw, and allow setsockopt() to work only
>      on the initial part of the structure.
>
> suggestions ? The first one is a quick solution to the problem, i am
> just not sure how widespread are rules using 8,9,10 ports (where there
> is a difference between new and old behaviour).

Search for 'On a new IPFW interface, w/potentially wider applications'
in the archives, and tell me what you think.

This is a description of a solution for the problem, which also get
rid of the entire problem of the IPFW structure changing
(disconnecting the userland program from the actual structure).

Eivind.