Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:50:37 +0000
From:      Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Seeking recommendations/stories for big servers

Joerg> I'd be interested to hear some experience/stories from people running
Joerg> such systems.

I can't really comment on the SMP issue, but we've been quite happy
with the Dell servers (4350 and 2300s mostly).  Fast, run FreeBSD
well, with good LVD SCSI drives, the I/O screams.  Dell do nice rack
mount servers up to 8 processor.  An 8450 with the 64-bit Adaptec
3950U2W cards and external shelves of LVD drives would probably fly.

Alternatively, though I haven't tried it, fibre channel with the
Qlogic cards might work better.  It depends what you are optimising for.
Dell do nice external disk shelves, but I have little experience with
them; we use Network Appliance filers for all our large storage needs,
something you might also consider, depending on what you want and can
afford.

We did have problems with SMP hangs in stable a while back, but I
haven't tested in a while (we only use UP boxes in production, so the
SMP stuff is just for testing).  Given that FreeBSD still uses a
single big lock for the kernel, your applications would need to be
very CPU intensive to make much use of lots of processors.  An I/O
loaded application might be just as fast on a single processor box.

I've had bad experiences with Compaq kit being non-standard in the
past, but the Digital stuff might be OK.

Joerg> I'm also interested about network-fanout stories. We may
Joerg> NFS-mount the server and have a 100MBit Ethernet box behind it
Joerg> for access from a farm of PCs.

The Intel PRO/100 cards are great for 100Mb, but almost any of the Dell boxes
will easily max one out for NFS and file transfers.  You might want to
consider either Gigabit ethernet or multiple 100Mb cards if you want
really fast access from lots of clients.
--
Alan