Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:01:00 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, ia64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gotchas when trying 5.0-DP2

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 05:13:47PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> >
> > One question: is there any interest in just having the loader be in
> > the EFI partition but leave the kernels in UFS / as well as the rest
> > of /boot?  I suppose one might would have to write a UFS driver for
> > EFI to make that work.
>
> I can't say no :-) I now put everything on the EFI partition because it
> makes ia64 less weird from the other architectures. A simple link and
> installworld and installkernel will do the right thing. There are
> other advantages as well, but if all OSes in a multi-boot environment
> are going to put dozens of MBs in the EFI partition, then it may not be
> that attractive.
>
> At this time I haven't got a clear picture of what other OSes do (except
> that HP-UX doesn't play ball at all). Linux has or used to have the
> kernel on the EFI partition. I don't know about Windows.

Linux puts the kernel on the efi partition.

We could write a pretty trivial efidisk driver and then use the loader's
ufs support.  But having everything run from the EFI fs has been so
convenient I've never felt the urge to try it.

We wouldn't need to write GPT support though, because EFI presents both
the MBR and GPT partitions as seperate block devices.

Trying to *find* the block device that corresponds to /boot would be the
interesting challenge.  Especially since the numbering changes as the
device configuration changes.  Going into the shell has shown as many as 25
efi block devices on systems I've seen before.

Cheers,
-Peter