Date:      Sat, 11 Jul 1998 12:56:02 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>, Mark Handley <mjh@east.isi.edu>, Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: list closed to non subscribers

The "consensus building" messages:

    Mark Handley:
     |The technological solution to this problem would be to only allow
     |postings from members of the list.
    Amancio Hasty:
     |I like that idea a lot .
    Amancio Hasty:
     |I see however what we are asking to have the multimedia mailing list
     |accept mail *only* from members. Can you do that?
    Amancio Hasty:
     |The list is now closed and it is time to go back to our multimedia
     |related topics.

Roger Hardiman:
 |Is -muiltimedia still closed so you need to subscribe before you
 |can post?
 |
 |I'd like it open again, as it used to be.

I agree (for your reasons, and a few others which I posted 7/2).

At the very least, I'd expect opinions/votes to be solicited and discussion
to be held on this topic by list members (and FreeBSD folks in general)
before we decide on a policy for all of us based on the expressed desires
of only one person.  I'd come to expect more from the FreeBSD community.
I didn't think this is how we did things here (sounds like Li*ux).

 |I'd like the group back open again.

Seconded.  And if some still want it closed, we should "discuss" this and
solicit positions/votes first.

 |Perhaps those that reply with abusive comments about Microsoft
 |operating systems could just ignore Windows posts.

Ditto that.  I also have been perturbed by the rudeness of some folks
responding to MSW posters.  If one of those had been my first exposure to
FreeBSD years ago, I for one would have gone elsewhere.  All we need is a
little tact and a desire to help--who knows who is on the verge of kicking
the MSW habit.

Randall

Randall Hopper:
 |Amancio Hasty:
 | |Only members are allowed to post to the multimedia mailing list.
 |
 |This is a bad idea IMO.
 |
 |Some newer folks that pick up the Bt848 driver or some FreeBSD util and
 |have trouble with it want to mail a question without signing up for a
 |mailing list, waiting until they know they're getting the messages, post
 |the question, accumulate a bunch of irrelevent list mail, get their answer,
 |and then unsubscribe.
 |
 |They'll more likely just drop the driver/utility, forget the problem, and
 |go onto something else.  That's what we'll be encouraging.
 |
 |Don't forget that not everyone has an ISP that let's them accumulate the
 |mail traffic some mailing lists produce, even if they're willing to put up
 |with the inconvenience of subscribe/wait/post/wait/unsubscribe/clean house.
 |
 |I do this same thing with various S/W I use.
 |
 |Do the few Windoze posts we get here from time to time annoy you that much?
 |Hey man, relax and take a vacation. ;-)
 |
 |Randall

 |with "unsubscribe freebsd-multimedia" in the body of the message

Randall