Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 07:20:15 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        cskinner@bml.ca (Chris K. Skinner), csdayton@midway.uchicago.edu, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, support@cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 Documentation and Installation of "Everything" to 2.1 Gig drive.

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote in message ID
<2944.832886397@time.cdrom.com>:
> See dialog(1) - it lets you write some fairly nice looking shell
> scripts for doing exactly this kind of thing.

Just don't, whatever you do, try to use libdialog (the library version
of the dialog program for use in other programs). You'll bash your
head against it for long hours and then want to commit mass murder (or
go for another pizza, depending on your personality).

> Once you have your DNS auto-configuration script working, send it to
> me and we'll find a way to use it in the global setup tool Gary's
> writing. :-)

Some things I'm not 100% happy about. True, I have been (and am still)
working on a configuration ``manager'' (editor would probably be a
better description). My reservations come from some of your
ideas. Setting up a simple DNS (e.g. for the private net 10) is a
relatively simple process. You don't have to worry about (on the most
part) MX records, whether that should be a CNAME or an A record, and
so on. Setting up a secondary server could equally be easily
implimented. Setting up a primary server should (in my opinion) be
limited to the same sort of functionality as a secondary setup
(i.e. not actually editing the zone files, just the named.boot
file). Zone files are nasty beasts, and anyone who is running an
Internet zone should probably either have the O'Reilly book and read
it, or be named ``Paul Vixie'' and be lucky enough to write the DNS
software.

Some other parts of the system are equally nasty (sendmail.cf spring
to mind immediately). A basic editor for the M4 sendmail configuration
macros could probably be easily written, but don't ask me to write
something which hand-holds you through defining re-writing rules, nor
which rule set to put them into!

I would say about 80% of the config files in /etc could be ``managed''
to some extent, the rest are too advanced for this type of
hand-holding, especially in a voluntary project (a lot of the files
are not designed with machine editing in mind :-( )

> > Config template A is a setup for simple 5 node LAN
> > with tcp/ip.  Config template B is for an internet
> > connection on ethernet where the machine being
> > configured is the name server for a small domain.

> See above. :-) Yes, I daresay that a good 90% of what's in /etc could
> be spat out by editors using template files from /usr/share/misc, or
> something.  It's even been talked about a fair bit.  It's just that
> pesky problem of finding enough bodies which continues to confound us
> up to now.. :-)

It strikes me there are TWO programs needed here. One for a freshly
installed system, and one to re-configure an existing system.

The fresh-install program just asks a series of basic questions
(e.g. ``Is this a dedicated server or a client''. If server, ``Do you
want to run DNS?''. If client ``What is your domain name? What is your
DNS servers IP address?'' and so on). It would be relatively easy to
figure out a question tree which would end up with a system which is
(for the most part) configured correctly, and the user wouldn't have
to touch a thing.

The re-configuration program is what I've got a skeleton for at the
minute (I have most of the back-end to frond-end/UI glue done, just
the actual `meat' of the program to write now. A lot of it will be
``relatively'' simple, just time consuming to do well). It could be
(optionally) invoked once the fresh-install program is done to allow
the user to make those little tweaks that professional/power users
always like to make.

See where the division lies, and how that makes the system more
adaptable? If you want to change your DNS, you don't want to have to
go through the entire config process again...

Gary