Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 19:25:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, Travis Cole <tcole@wcug.wwu.edu>, Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and IRC

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Alexander Langer wrote:

> Thus spake Bill Fumerola (billf@chc-chimes.com):
>
> > (1) They expect that it is their God-given right to get help in #freebsd.
>
> That is not true. When I was a lamer^Wnewbie, I went to the next
> IRC-Channel and asked something (how to extract a .tar.gz, actually).
> They told me, that there are manpages that explain most commands, and
> that there are many other docs on the internet at that-and-that place.
>
> Well done, after I had _this_ info I could find out myself and I did.
> But one had to point me to this things.
>
> People just don't imagine that there is a command like "man" which
> explains things.

One channel that helps you doesn't give you a privilege is every other
channel on IRC.

> > 	evading bans by coming back under different hostnames,
> > 	/msg flooding the ops/flooding the channel,
> > 	Using DoS attacks on the ops,
> > 	getting their friends to troll the channel.
>
> Eh, Bill :-)
> This are of course reasons to ki{ck,ll} [1] people, but I'm not
> talking about these guys. I talk about newbies.
>
> > (2) I try to put #freebsdhelp and or the handbook/FAQ in my kick reason.
>
> That's what I meant.
> Why is "/k newbie check #freebsdhelp" shorter for you than
> "please ask in #freebsdhelp".

Because it's said in the channel and no one listens.

> > (3) I often kick with the answer to the question/URL for more information.
>
> Same as above.

Same as above.

> Alex
>
> [1] IRC-Operator-Kill

| Omachonu Ogali                                     oogali@intranova.net |
| Intranova Networking Group                 http://tribune.intranova.net |
| PGP Key ID:                                                  0xBFE60839 |
| PGP Fingerprint:       C8 51 14 FD 2A 87 53 D1  E3 AA 12 12 01 93 BD 34 |