Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 22:09:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fnord0: disabled, not probed.

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> If he's going to ignore "disbled" messages in favor of "login",
> then all he cares about is "login:".  That means he can get any
> number of messsages prior to "login:", and it won't matter.  This
> argues *for* "disabled" messages (they will be ingnored anyway).

We never said he was ignoring "disabled" messages, but rather
that he lacked the skills to retrieve the whole list of messages
spewed forth.  Our conclusion was then that it would be best only
to print messages which could impact his ability to get to
"login:".

(Recall that if he has disabled devices he should already be
aware of the possibility that his action negatively influenced
his login ability).

Of course, in one respect we have come full circle and you could
now bring your "I bought a laptop" question back.  I would
suggest that if you bought a laptop so badly configured that it
does not even reach a login: prompt, you should re-install
FreeBSD, fresh.  In fact, you should do that anyways.  Who knows
what booby traps have been set-up in the old OS.  It would be
reckless of FreeBSD to encourage people to do otherwise.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk