Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 2002 22:46:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      "David A. Panariti" <davep.freebsd@meduseld.net>
To:        pjklist@ekahuna.com
Cc:        allbery@ece.cmu.edu, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mergemaster editor problem

   Philip> On 25 Dec 2002 at 22:01, Brandon S. Allbery boldly uttered:
   >> On Wed, 2002-12-25 at 21:33, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
   >> >     "%ex/vi: Vi's standard input and output must be a terminal
   >> (...)
   >> >     mergemaster -v -C -w 132 2>&1 |tee -a <logfile>
   >>
   >> So vi's standard output wasn't a terminal (it was the pipe to
   >> tee). Sounds like "working as designed" to me.

   Philip> OK, I see your point - does the same thing if I use vi by itself
   Philip> piped to tee.

   Philip> So any suggestion on how to make this work without giving up the
   Philip> log of the general Mergemaster process? (all too often stuff
   Philip> scrolls by that I have to deal with later so the log is important
   Philip> to me)

   Philip> I know about the "script" command but according to the manpage:

   Philip>     "Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage
   Philip>     in the typescript file.  The script utility works best with
   Philip>     commands that do not manipulate the screen."

   Philip> (Actually I don't mind garbage in the output logfile, as long as
   Philip> it doesn't corrupt the rest of the file.  I can just ignore or
   Philip> remove that section.)
There may be an easier way but you could use screen (/usr/ports/misc/screen)
It has an option to create a log file.
When using vi, it captures all of the escape sequences used to move the
cursor, etc, so there is a lot of garbage looking stuff in the log, but
everything is captured.

Besides logging it is a wonderful utility with tons of uses.

regards,
davep