Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 00:17:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'cpdup' program, and question

:
:I personally would *love* it to go into /bin or /sbin.  I have lost count
:of the number of times that I've had to move trees with tar or cpio (and
:cpio with -Hnewc to get the 32bit device numbers).  If it handles flags
:etc and does restarts, then even better!
:
:A tool like this will be far more useful than a stack of other things in
:the tree.
:
:Cheers,
:-Peter

    Yup, though caviat: cpdup doesn't use streams like tar, cpio, etc...
    it operates more like 'cp' in that it takes a source and destination
    path.

    We use it at BEST to maintain our 45+ FreeBSD boxes from a single
    template machine via NFS ( the one thing I used NFS for at BEST ).

    I'll put it up on my web page for review.  Compile it up and run
    'cpdup' without any arguments for help.

	http://www.backplane.com/FreeBSD/

    Note: the MD5 support is brand new, I just added it tonight.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>