Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2008 14:19:03 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Aragon Gouveia <aragon@phat.za.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handling of newly attached pcm devices (eg. via uaudio)

Quoting Aragon Gouveia <aragon@phat.za.net> (from Thu, 31 Jan 2008 =20
14:10:05 +0200):

> Hi,
>
> On my FreeBSD workstations I frequently use a USB sound device (headphone
> amplifier).  I typically plug it in and out only when I need it, and expec=
> (or hope!) for my system to use it when it's plugged in, but use the onboa=
rd
> sound when it is unplugged.
>
> On FreeBSD 7 I used to set hw.snd.default_unit to 1 (from 0) after pluggin=
> the device in and then set the mixer levels to how I want them.  I've
> subsequently automated this ala devd and a shell script to do precisely th=
> same thing, except the shell script also calls /etc/rc.d/mixer to restore
> the saved mixer settings in /var/db.
>
> I would like to PR my work in the hope of someone committing it as I think
> it might be useful to others.  What are people's opinions of this idea,
> in particular setting hw.snd.default_unit to make a newly plugged sound
> device the default?  Can anyone think of a better way to handle newly
> attached sound hardware?

Not commenting on the fact if this handling itself is ok or not (I =20
have no strong opinion about it), but it should at least be not =20
activated by default. So whatever you submit as a PR should contain =20
something which has a look at rc.conf (and the other config files) and =20
only do something if it is explicitly activated there. It should also =20
be able to not fail if the attached device is the only sound device =20
(so on removal of the only sound device, it should not fall on the =20
nose or spit out a lot of messages).

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Why do they call a fast a fast, when it goes so slow?

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137