Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 07:44:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: video capture driver interface to file system?

> Lets see,
> We can daisy chain buffers in physical memory pending upon the resolution
> and the amount of memory available for the system.
>
> A good resolution for mpeg is 320x240 30 frames/sec for yuv12 that translates
> to 3456000 bytes/sec so lets called it 3.5MB/sec substain thruput.

What kind of performance can you get now through the file system
to your disks?  On my not-fancy system I see 1974857/sec saving 30
seconds of "video" at a block size of 3456000 to a Fujitsu disk.
(dd if=/dev/zero of=/sd1/A/foo bs=3456000 count=30).  Note that
I've optimized nothing.

Since you can apparently collect the video into a suitably aligned
user buffer and I assume that there is some FIFO on the board to
give you some time to reprogram at frame done interrupt time, a
simple driver with no double buffering other than a regular start
queue (so that the done interrupt has a place to store incoming
data in), "team", and "dd" may be all you need to store video
through the file system on a lightly loaded fast system.  It will
provide a starting point to see where to focus our efforts, and
"dd if=/dev/yuv12 of=~/clip.yuv" is a good interface to support
even if only for debugging.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.               Voice: 508 433 6936