Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 20:17:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, xiyuan@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: net speed

>Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 19:36:37 -0800 (PST)
>From: xiyuan qian <xiyuan@yahoo.com>

>Hi, how to express the net speed between the client
>and the server? with ping ???

First, I would contend that "speed" (as such) is not a very meaningful
term with respect to networks.  Indeed, your query relates to that lack
of meaningfulness, as the text below should show.

There are a couple of different (but related) ways to refer to how fast
data gets from its source to its destination.  The relevant terms are
"latency" and "bandwidth".  Absent a fair amount of context, determining
which is meant can be challenging.

Essentially, latency is a measure of the minimal amount of time that any
quantum of information could spend in getting from the source to the
destination.  Typically, this will be measured with a small amount of
data -- a single datagram (or packet, depending on the level you are
measuring).

Ping can be a useful tool for measuring this (at the datagram level).
You can see the effect of changing the size of the datagram by
specifying different sizes and noting the difference in the amount of
time it takes, or latency.  At the same time, this latency will vary,
depending on network conditions, so it is likely that the best estimate
of latency will be of a statistical nature.

Bandwidth, on the other hand, is a measure of how much data can transit
the network in a given amount of time.  This, also, can be rather
dependent on network conditions, as well as the load on the source and
destination machines.  Further, for useful (from the user's perspective)
measures of bandwidth, higher-level protocols tend to be involved, such
as FTP, and these have additional overhead.

The commonly-quoted "speeds" of networks are measured in terms of
bandwidth, rather than latency (i.e., a certain amount of data in a unit
of time, vs. a certain amount of time for a unit of data).

All that said, this is based on my observations, for the most part -- I
haven't studied network theory; I'm not sure it existed as such back
when I was in school... so please take all of this with a suitably-sized
"grain of salt".

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915