Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 11:36:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Don Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
Cc:        dg@root.com, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gateway Computers

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Don Wilde wrote:

> David Greenman wrote:
> >
> >    Background: Micron has escentially given WC CDROM a NetFRAME 9201, which
> > is their highest-end enterprise server, for the next generation wcarchive.
> > It arrived yesterday and is sitting in my garage until I can find time to
> > get it configured and shipped out to San Francisco.
>
> My experience has been that all these machines are drop-ins for FreeBSD
> except for their (optional) RAID controllers and secondary processors.
> My problem has been that Micron has reliability problems, too many
> infant mortality failures in my experience. Yes, they fix them, but it
> leaves a bad taste in the mouth to have several replacements to fix one
> problem (PS, motherboard, whole machine, in one case!). Nobody's said,
> "it's your OS" yet, but I was expecting it... :-(

I was curious about the RAID controllers myself--I know we do DPT quite
well, but getting a bundled server package is always nice.  Do we support
their basic Symbios (or whomever) SCSI controller?

By secondary processors, do you mean that 3.0+ of FreeBSD just doesn't
like their SMP support, or was that a 2.2 concern?

Any chance that if cdrom.com is using them, we'll see better driver
support for Micron server machines? :-)  Having a hardware vendor
specifically supported, especially a large one, would be great.  And who
knows, with Dell jumping on the Linux bandwagon, maybe Micron would jump
on ours (or at least be willing to indicate that WC provides support for
FreeBSD OS stuff on their platform)

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/