Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 16:51:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@worldnet.fr>
To:        Sebastien.Gioria@FranceNet.fr
Cc:        freebsd-install@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of sysinstall ?

On  4 Aug, Philippe CASIDY wrote:
> On  3 Aug, Sebastien GIORIA wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 03:57:13PM +0200,  the keyboard of Philippe CASIDY write:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> If I read the man page about sysinstall, I can read :
>>>
>>> BUGS
>>>      This utility is a prototype which lasted approximately 3 years past its
>>>      expiration date and is greatly in need of death.
>>>
>>> If there something currently being developped to replace it?
>>>
>>> My may concern is to know if this tool is worth being improved!
>>
>> Particulary for supporting the multi-lingual. We (French Doc Project)
>> are very interesst for the internationalising of this tools..
>>

> I will have a look about how to make it possible!

[is it the right list to discuss about this?]

I spent a few time looking into the sources of sysinstall. It is "quite"
easy to make a French version : moving all the texts in a separate
file and to compile either a French or English version using a macro
definition. I think that for PAO, they just translate the text but I am
not sure : I hav to get hand on PAO sysinstall sources.

The most interesting is having a multi-lingual tool. Let the user
select which language he wants and then dynamically change the text.
But unfortunately, it requires huge code rework I cannot evaluate now.

The problem is that most (if not all) of the texts are declared in
static structure:

 DMenu MenuInitial = {
    DMENU_NORMAL_TYPE,
    "/stand/sysinstall Main Menu",			/* title */
    "Welcome to the FreeBSD installation and configuration tool.  Please\n" /* prompt */

and it is not easy to dynamically change this values!

John, do you confirm?

--
 Philippe CASIDY
 Consultant Génie Logiciel