Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2006 15:55:40 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Atheros card with external antenna connector?

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006, Greg Troxel wrote:

 > http://www.ubnt.com/super_range_cardbus.php4
 >
 > I'm pretty sure these have MMCX, and work basically fine under NetBSD
 > which has essentially the same driver/hal.  I'm really sure that we
 > hooked up small external vertical antennas and got well over 100m
 > range outside.  Beware that the output is closer to 400 mW and looked
 > a bit unclean at full power, and I was only able to reduce power to
 > about 30 mW.

Hmm, 30mW or even 100mW is normal spec, 400mW is likely a bit close to
illegal here, though there's a 200mW CE version, which may do the extra
European channels too, and with less power consumption .. I'll enquire.

Thanks for the info; I found the .au distributor there and will check
them out.  So far I've been leaning toward the Proxim/Orinoco cards
though they're b/g only, and expensive! .. these ones indeed have two
antenna connectors which (I think) is necessary to do 802.11a.

Cheers, Ian