Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 09:41:37 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@alcnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Team FreeBSD

[moved to -chat]

Hi,

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Kelly Yancey wrote:

>   And how far is seta@home along in finding little green men? ;)

We might find them in 2 minutes?  2 hours?  Centuries?

How soon we will break rc5-64?  Using the most pessimistic view, another
15.3 years.  (at roughly the current rate)

> In the meantime, I personally can derive a greater sense of
> accomplishment from more readily accomplishable tasks. True, cracking
> digital encryption isn't as sexy, but it has a tangible timeframe to
> completion.

Tangible timeframe ... long.  The point of the rc5 contests was to show
that the encryption methods being used/limited by the US government were
insufficient.  That's certainly been true w/ the DES stuff, but rc5-64 has
been going for 1.7 years and they haven't even gotten through 10% of the
keyspace with the equivalent of some hundreds of thousands of P100's (I
think that's what they said somewhere - can't find the reference).  It
seems to me that rc5-64 is pretty good.  :-)

In any case, my science background makes me far more interested in doing a
more "traditional" science experiment than cracking encrypted messages
where I can work for years and maybe never do anything but pump out keys.
In SETI, I might not find aliens, but I might find something else of
scientific interest.

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu *
                        brett@daemonnews.org              *