Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 09:15:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Don Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Linux PR firestorm disaster (w.r.t. FreeBSD)

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Don Wilde wrote:

> Konrad Heuer wrote:
> >=20
> > Shame on me - I didn't read this thread of discussion completely. I hop=
e,
> > I don't state anything which has already been discussed.
> >=20
> > I'm convinced the FreeBSD is superior to Linux if we discuss
> > technical questions. But the world isn't really interested in. The succ=
ess
> > of the Microsoft systems does illustrate it.
> >=20
>=20
> Nevertheless, if we discuss technical issues in userland English (or
> German... ;-) , we can get the point across.

Please don't get me wrong: Technical discussions are very interesting, and
I like them. But how can we make the outside world listen to such
arguments? I often tried to convince people but finally they choose Linux
because it's so popular ...

> > The main of advantage of Linux is its ongoing success in the commercial
> > scene because people deciding for Linux feel calmed by the existence of
> > RedHat or Caldera. For them Linux is now more reliable, it's nearly lik=
e a
> > commercial operating system.
> >=20
> > We don't want that for FreeBSD. But in the long term one or two or thre=
> > Linux distributions will even go more commercial and will win the race.
> > FreeBSD will stay a free operating system (I hope so) and will get only=
> > small part of the market. That's what I expect.
> >=20
> Jordan hopes to prove you wrong... without going explicitly
> 'commercial'...

I hope so, too; and in this case I'd like to be proven wrong. I'm no
friend of Linux. I don't hate it (killer.gif is a nice idea anyway), and I
don't like it.

> > Nevertheless, let's try to make FreeBSD more popular day by day! :-)
> >=20
> hear, hear! :-D

I'll do my best ...=09:-)

// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _____=
__=20
// Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __=
/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/=
 // /
// Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___=
/____/=20
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve ----=