Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 20:55:50 -0700
From:      "Michael W. Akers" <mwakers@home.com>
To:        "Abdullah Bin Hamad." <arabian@nac.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs SunOS/Solaris

Hi Abdullah,
Before asking these questions, please do the following.

SPARC:
1) Check to make sure that the modem control bank
    software exists for FreeBSD.
2) Take a SPARC station and remove the HD and swap
    it with a bland HD, then install FreeBSD on that platform.
    Make sure it runs correctly.
3) Make sure that all of the scripts will operate correctly
    in the FreeBSD environment.
4) Test the ISP environment under full simulated load, and
    test it under real mode.

PC:
1) On a PC using an Intel MB w/500MHz Pent III proc.
    512MB PC-100 DRAM, Adaptec U2WIDE controller,
    Seagate Cheetah U2Wide LVD HD (5.4MS).
2) Install FreeBSD.
3) 1,3-4 under SPARC apply.

Remember that Sun has a proven performance niche where ISP
is concerned. Do make the comparisons above and you
should have the ammo to make a decision. Even though
FreeBSD is free and very fast (small kernel) it is the hardware
in this case that makes all of the difference.

Hope this helps.
Michael W. Akers
M. Akers Enterprises
Systems Administration and Integration Services