Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:56:31 -0000
From:      Alex Collins <afc@demon.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Newbie] - Getting started - Free BSD - DEC Multia 166

Hi There

I have myself an Alpha Multia 166, what I need to know is how to get
started on the install for FreeBSD - Alpha.
Multia 166 - 64 MB parity RAM - 4 GB IBM HDD - no CD Rom.

I have the BSD / Alpha on the Network - Anon FTP Server, with the idea
being to install it via FTP. ( from Redhat 5.2- i386 )

I have the Boot images, but I'm stuck at the First Hurdle - the Multia
won't read the boot images to enable me to start the install.
I simply get loads of read errors, then a Crash.

I have tried Fdimage, and rawrite to make the floppies allong with DD
 Redhat i386 ). I have also
upgraded the firmware on the machine.

Any help would be appreciated. Also other people have had problems getting
Free BSD to recognise the inbuilt network card - am i likly to have the same
problem ?.

I posted this to the comp.unix.freebsd.misc newsgroup, and got no response.

Alex Collins            : "What does the screen say now."
Demon Helpdesk  : "It says, 'Hit ENTER when ready'."
afc@demon.net    :"Well?"
www.demon.net    : "How do I know when it's ready?"