Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 1995 13:44:19 -0700
From:      supervisor@alb.asctmd.com
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:    Re: sys/netipx -Reply

> I am working on a hacked version of the netns code in order to
conform
> more to IPX (ethernet frame type 8137). I am interested in being able to
> support IPX and SPX connections using the BSD sockets interface.
> THESE CHANGES ARE NOT YET COMPLETE...
>  > What is an appropriate method to make these changes available for
> inclusion into the FreeBSD source tree?

Maybe now would be a good time to generalize the protocol family
registration mechanism and provide a function interface to do it, as well
as getting rid of the #undef UNIX and the word 'UNIX' in referring to
socket domains?

It would be natural to use an LKM to load a protocol family.
I took a look at generating a LKM to load a protocol family; there seem to
be alot of places that a protocol family needs to hook into (e.g. the
ethernet hardware drivers). The netipx kit is not implemented as a LKM
because of this.

Would it make sense to create protocol family callbacks which would be
available to the ethernet hardware drivers? Is there such an interface
already defined?