Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 1995 08:12:45 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: your mail

As Bruce Evans wrote:

> >4.4BSD sed is broken. You must quote '/'in brackets,
> >eg. sed -e 's/.*[\/]//'

...which would have been equivalent to

sed -e 's/.*\///'

Anyway, FreeBSD 1.1.5.1's sed has been broken for this and didn't
recognize the escaped second slash.

I'm not sure if 4.4BSD's sed is *broken*.  I've studied Posix 1003.2
up and down, and it has been not clear if the regexp delimiters should
have higher or lower precedence than brackets.  I think the behaviour
of this sed is strange, but not violating Posix (unlike the Net-2 sed,
escaping the regexp delimiter is required to work).

> Is this portable?  I thought that '\' isn't special in brackets.  It isn't
> needed even to quote ']' - you can put the ']' first so that it isn't
> interpreted as the end of the brackets:

I'm not sure.  I've replaced the Internet Info CD in my drive with the
newly-arrived 2.0.5 `live filesystem' as a replacement for my missing
/usr/src yesterday, so i cannot look into 1003.2 right now.  I think
backslashes are special, and you're supposed to escape at least
backslashes themselves.

I think this one should also apply for [] groups, explaining the need
for backslashes under some circumstances:

     2.   The escape sequence \n matches a newline character embedded in the
          pattern space.  You can't, however, use a literal newline character
          in an address or in the substitute command.

You are right, ranges including a `]' are impossible, as well as ranges
including a hyphen.  See re_format(7).

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/