Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 06:38:44 -0500
From:      Louis Theran <k@yt.to>
To:        chat@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: major push by spammers?

some fronter info

On Wed, Nov 26, 1997 at 10:23:35AM -0500, Timothy J Luoma wrote:
> 	Author:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
>
> > Hmmm.  What would be a better code if one simply wished to toss it away?
>
> 451 is a temp error.... 551 is a permanent one

Most spamware packages don't usually implement the retry algorithm.  There
isn't time when you expect your throwaway dialup account to be nuked when
the complaints start coming in.  Open relays will do this, however, so I
still would use a 5xx over a 4xx if a domain has failed whatever DNS test
you are doing on it.

> > And I wonder if running a caching named on mail.freebsd.org wouldn't
> > perhaps be a good idea, if only to avoid the scenario of temporary DNS
> > outtages.  Would it even help?
>
> I don't think so.
>
> If it is cached than it would not fail.  If it was not cached and there was
> a temporary DNS outtage at your nameservers, it would bounce.
>
> Sending a 500-level permanant bounce is not really a good idea in general...
> You'd be surprised how often there are temp DNS timeouts.... too man damn
> people using the Internet these days ;-)

Shouldn't you be able to tell the difference between a soft DNS failure and
a hard one?  It seems like you should be able to do different things
depending on whether you got back a definitive answer or you just couldn't
reach the nameserver or had it time out on you.

^Louis

--
Louis Theran a.k.a. User K -- Carjacker on the Information Superhighway
"Off the record.  On the QT.  And very Hush-Hush."