Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 19:46:52 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        rse@engelschall.com
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: SPECweb96 challenge

Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> > > There is only one point you missed: the SPECweb96 benchmark costs $800 :-(
> >
> > Between apache and freebsd we can't find $800? I'm going to ask Jordan
> > if we can approach this from the central POV by putting out an official
> > challenge call on the site and on -questions, -newbies and -chat, and
> > where we can send the money. Ralf, will you find out the rest of the
> > particulars as to what we need to actually perform a rigorous test that
> > we can put side-by-side with the payware geeks?
> >[...]
>
> Beside from the fact that I currently don't have time for any such stuff (I'm
> totally busy with Apache 1.3b6 and now 1.3b7) I'm not sure if your idea is
> really useful. Benchmarks are problematic in _a lot of cases_ and the final
> gain for FreeBSD+Apache is not obvious, IMHO. Everyone knows that we are doing
> a great work with FreeBSD and a great work with Apache. And everyone knows
> that both products work nicely together and form a powerful solution. But if a
> SPECweb96 benchmark result really is worth the effort of $800 I'm not sure.
>
> Instead I really think that a benchmark which costs $$ is a bogus one.  It's
> just there for making money instead of making good results. So, it would be
> perhaps better to promote FreeBSD+Apache via other alternatives. But
> nevertheless if someone contributes $800 and the hardware plus time to run
> such a SPECweb96 benchmark with FreeBSD+Apache I'm interested in the results,
> of course. But I think it is not worth the effort...

I saw reference to a WEBstone benchmark on SGI's site. I'll go dig up
some info on that, and get back to you. SPEC is a commercially-backed
consortium, but it IS a known entity, even if they constantly fight over
what is the benchmark. My point is that it is sometimes important to
beat them on their own turf. Perhaps another good entry point would be
the new InfoWorld Testing Labs, although they do seem to be rather
mercenary (!)