Date:      Sat, 02 Jan 2010 17:03:39 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/140563: net/avahi-app doesn't build - depends on missing "gnome-config"

In message <1262478298.16768.45.camel@shumai.marcuscom.com>, you wrote:

>I don't know what all of these variables control, but I do know that
>pkg-config is behaving as if you typed:
>
>pkg-config -- dbus-1 --modversion

Well, I tried this again, just to be sure that I didn't make some stupid
mistake, e.g. while cutting and pasting what you told me to do:

  pkg-config dbus-1 --modversion --debug

When I did this again, once again I got just the same two errors about
gnome-config as before.  However, noting (as I did) that in the above
command, the options did NOTR appear before the nonoption args (which
is counter to POSIX rules for commands) I decided to try this instead/also:

   pkg-config --modversion --debug dbus-1

Now *that* command produces a LOT of debugging output.

Hummm.... I have encountered something similar to this situation before,
with sopme other package/port in the past that I was also having trouble
building.  It tried to invoke something... I forget precisely what now...
maybe bison... but as in this case, it did so in a way that provided non-
option arguments _before_ some option arguments.

Hummm... no.  It wasn't bison.  It was something else.  I forget what now
but I could go back and look it up.  It was somthing needed by something that
was needed in order to build "nmh".  Anyway, the guy who was the maintainer
never could reproduce the problem that I was seeing (and he wasn't nearly
as helpful or caring as you) so he just (arrogantly?) closed the PR.

Now however I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, the fact that I use
/bin/tcsh rather than /bin/csh may perhaps ... no... nevermind.  I
just checked and even under /bin/csh _and_ /bin/sh also, the behavior
is the same for:

   pkg-config dbus-1 --modversion --debug

i.e. just two error messages about gnome-config... *however* as I've said,
putting the options befire the non-option arguments seems to make an
enormous differece in terms of the output, and the command rewritten to:

   pkg-config --modversion --debug dbus-1

seems to produce a whole lotta output.  (I have no idea if any of it is
in any sense "correct" or not, but at least there is a lot of it.)

So now, is THIS my solution? Do I just simply need to find the place in
the avahi-app Makefile(s) where the pgk-config command is being invoked,
and then re-arrange things so that the options come before non-option
args?

I guess I'll try and see if I can do that and report back.

If you have some other suggestion(s), I'm all ears.

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  I don't even understand why people are writting Makefiles that invoke
things with non-option args _before_ option args.  This is expressely
prohibited by the POSIX standard, no?

Well, that is what I dimly recall anyway.  I guess I'll have to drag out
my copy of POSIX to confirm that.