Date:      Mon, 1 Aug 2005 15:56:34 +0400
From:      Dmitry Mityugov <dmitry.mityugov@gmail.com>
To:        "ray@redshift.com" <ray@redshift.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD desktop?

On 8/1/05, ray@redshift.com <ray@redshift.com> wrote:
>   Maybe someone on the hackers or x11 list can help me get going the righ=
> direction here.  I can setup FreeBSD servers like the wind - tweak the ke=
rnel,
> you name it.  So this weekend I tried to install FreeBSD 5.4 on my deskto=
p -
> what a mess.  I never could get anything to run, other than startx or xst=
art or
> something.  I ended up once with a blank desktop (I think I typed X) and =
another
> time with the same desktop, but with 3 open windows.  Anyway, I finally g=
ave up.
>=20
>   Anyone have any run down on loading FreeBSD as your desktop?  I am tryi=
ng to
> go with FreeBSD because I use it for my servers, but I feel like I'm lack=
ing a
> broad understanding of how Unix handles windows.  I get the impression th=
ere is
> a server that deals with windows called X windows and then there are diff=
erent
> desktop managers (such as KDE, Gnome, etc) - but I don't understand the
> interplay between them and the Kernel as it relates to how I normally see=
 FreeBSD.
>=20
>   I'm wondering if someone can give me an overview?

Chapter 5 in the Handbook, The X Window System, is probably what
you're looking for:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html

--=20
Dmitry Mityugov, St. Petersburg, Russia
I ignore all messages with confidentiality statements

"We live less by imagination than despite it" - Rockwell Kent, "N by E"