Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:54:42 +0100
From:      "Andreas Rudisch" <cyb.@gmx.net>
To:        guru@sisis.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0-REL && isos of distfiles

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:10:00 +0100, <guru@Sisis.de> wrote:

> El día Thursday, December 29, 2005 a las 04:58:14PM +0200, Giorgos
> Keramidas escribió:
>
>> The distfiles are the sources of the ported programs.
>
> I know.
>
>> They are
>> not specific to a single release.  You can just copy over the
>> distfiles from the older notebook and rebuild your ports.
>
> That's not true. I copied over the /usr/ports/distfiles from my
> 5.4-REL to the 6.0-REL but the ports-collection which comes with
> 6.0-REL will use other sources while doing 'make install' in
> /usr/ports/x11/kde:

Well, since 6.0 came out much after 5.4, it uses updated ports/
packages (new features, bugfixes), so the versions of some ports
of 6.0 will be higher than of 5.4. What is the point in installing a
new release of FreeBSD and using 'old' ports.

Just install FreeBSD 6.0 and use the packages provided with the RELEASE,
or cvsup your ports tree and do a fresh install of the ports you need.

Andreas