Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 10:16:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Bruce M. Walter" <walter@fortean.com>
To:        "David E. Wexelblat" <dwex@DataFocus.com>
Cc:        "'devel@XFree86.Org'" <devel@XFree86.Org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: interested in working on windows port (sorry for cross post)

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, David E. Wexelblat wrote:

> 1) From what I have been told by more than one PC X server
> manufacturer, DirectX is going to be a waste of time.  DirectX
> only gets major performance improvements when it can take over
> the entire screen.  When running in a window, it's not a major
> win over raw GDI code.  As far as I know, none of the PC X server
> vendors use DirectX.
>
> [...]
>
> I have never seen anyone use anything other than multi-window mode
> (well,
> we do have a couple of ISVs selling turnkey boxes, who I have been told
> do use single-window mode).

Exceed for 95 does full-screen quite well.  In fact, I can't stand it any
other way ;)

Being primarily a Unix developer with certain Windoze requirements I need
an environment where I can switch between the two in an instant.  With
Exceed in full-screen mode, you can't tell this is a Windoze box until you
hit <CTRL>-<ESC>...  The price tag and lack of NT support are my only big
bones to pick, although nice fast MPG animations would be nice.

IMHO, doing a version without full-screen capability would be a mistake.

- B

|| Bruce M. Walter                    || 107 Timber Hollow Court #335 ||
|| Senior Network Consultant          || Chapel Hill, NC  27514       ||
|| Fortean Technologies, Inc.         || Tel: 919-967-4766            ||
|| Information Technology Consultants || Fax: 919-967-4395            ||
||       BSD Unix -- It's not just a job, it's a way of life!         ||