Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:04:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mi@aldan.algebra.com
To:        julian@vicor-nb.com
Cc:        Developers@FreeBSD.org, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Lessons learned from 4.4. upgrade problems

[Follow-up set to -stable]

On 15 Oct, Julian Elischer wrote:
[...]
> There  are  work-arounds  for  the above  changes  (e.g.  install  new
> packages) but sometimes  that is not possible. We just  need to show a
> little more care.

Adding to  that -- I  have a  Pentium-100, where the  4.4-install kernel
panics always  -- right  after the  visual configuration.  Regardless of
what, if anything, was configured.

The 4.1.1 install starts up fine, I  used it to install 4.4, but it also
crashes...

No  proprietory drivers,  nothing. A  fresh install.  4.4 panics,  4.1.1
works fine...

	-mi