Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:43:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: catching signals...

According to Mike Smith:
[...]
> Multiple consumers should talk to the sound hardware via a multiplexer/
> mixer of some sort, eg. nas or something better.   There doesn't seem
> to be any other sensible way to multiplex multiple sound device
> consumers anyway.  ie. what's the point of having a stream output
> device open by more than one consumer?

It seems very useful to me... Like my mp3 player playing music, and my
alarm clock, or something like a "windows emulator" (make-annoying-sounds-
-as-soon-as-the-user-does-anything-in-an-attempt-to-make-user-go-mad sounds)
trying to play a sound at the same time, while my recording program is trying
to record something from a mic, or stereo, or something. Not even the
"conflicting" use (two outputs) should cause a problem. Then should be
automatically mixed in /dev/audio, me thinks. It doesn't seem illogical
to me. Specially if you have a nice DSP soundcard that could do it
automagically.

No?

  /Mikael