Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 2010 19:51:55 +0000
From:      Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   TexLive on FreeBSD 8.1

Dear folks,

Sorry to ask about this since this has been beaten to death many
times, but I *wonder* why FreeBSD does not have TeXLive as default tex
installation?

I look at a Linux project that is very similar to FreeBSD, Slackware
and they at least explain why it is not included as default and
include tetex 3.0 which is no longer developed.  One can build a tetex
package for slackware easily through slackbuilds.org.  No problem
there.  On FreeBSD, there are several attempts to address this issue:

http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2009-November/023783.html

http://code.google.com/p/freebsd-texlive/

I have tried Romain's repository, followed the instructions on FreeBSD
8.0 AMD 64, but did not get anywhere, the default tetex(installed by
ports) was the only one that worked.  I did not try the other binaries
on second link provided.

Is there a foolproof/idiotproof way of installing TeXLive, even from
source, that does not require one to have tetex?

I see NetBSD or OpenBSD has TeXLive as a port in their ports, why
hasn't FreeBSD followed them?
I can see why others[Linux/BSD distributors] have licensing issues,
but FreeBSD is not like that at least from what I know.

I broke my 8.0 installation, and want to install 8.1 but want to see
how it would be easier to install texlive or just be happy with tetex
and move on till FreeBSD developers include texlive by default?

Don't want to add insult to injury or offend anyone, I just want to
see how installing texlive on FreeBSD can be made easier?

Regards,

Antonio