Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2013 17:19:37 -0500
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Cody Ritts <cr@caltel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wiki / ZFS Booting

--2NLGdgz3UMHa/lqP

Hi Cody,

On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 02:07:04PM -0800, Cody Ritts wrote:
> Hello all,
>=20
> I have some suggestions for the wiki regarding root on zfs.
>=20
> In short, I think it would be EXTREMELY helpful to consolidate all of=20
> the pages into two.
>=20
> 1.  Booting to ZFS
> 2.  Advanced ZFS partitioning
>=20
> The long story is that I have just spent several days documenting my=20
> efforts to get multiple systems to boot from ZFS.  First, thank you to=20
> all who have contributed to the wiki, I would not have been able to get=
=20
> it done without you.
>=20
> That being said these are 11 pages I have found on the wiki:
>=20
> /RootOnZFS, /RootOnZFS/UFSBoot, /RootOnZFS/ZFSBootPartition,=20
> /RootOnZFS/ZFSBootSlice, /RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot,=20
> /RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/Mirror, /RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/RAIDZ1,=20
> /RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/RAIDZ2, /RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE,=20
> /ZFSOnRoot, /ZFSOnRootWithZFSboot
>=20

Yes, this is a bit excessive... :(

> I don't want to just complain that it should be better, I would like to=
=20
> share the internal documentation that I put together from all of the web=
=20
> pages, man pages, and server testing.
>=20

Appreciated. :-)

> I am not 100% certain I am doing everything the "right" way, but I am=20
> 100% CERTAIN that I have COPY/PASTED each and every one of these=20
> commands into a FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE LiveCD shell and then successfully=20
> booted.
>=20

I did not look in-depth at your attached input, but here is a good
reference for what Pawel considers the "right way" to do it (for various
degrees).

http://blogs.freebsdish.org/pjd/2010/08/06/from-sysinstall-to-zfs-only-conf=
iguration/

Hope this helps.