Date:      Mon,  4 May 1998 11:11:34 -0400
From:      kriston@ibm.net (Kriston J. Rehberg)
To:        FreeBSD advocacy list <FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: InfoWorld Electric: Linux Zealots Trashing FreeBSD, Berkeley

David Kelly writes:

>I've been thinking that considering Netscape's release of their browser
>source code that maybe it would be a good idea for IBM to do the same
>with OS/2. IBM can't be collecting very much money selling OS/2. Well,
>at least not much in IBM scale.

That's a great idea, but IBM positions OS/2 as a sort of "replacement"
for Windows NT and Novell servers.  When I used to use OS/2 a lot
(just before Windows 95 came out) I would get catalogs from IBM that
promoted the OS/2 Warp Server, which provides directory replication
(to get around Novell and NT license limits) and software products
that run on OS/2 to completely replace Novell and NT servers, with
services such as NDS, SMB "Lan Manager" things, and complete TCP/IP
services all on one machine.

I think they still promote OS/2 this way today...  they exclusively
used OS/2 on the internal PC's when I worked there, anyway.  I don't
think they want to lose whatever equity they have left in that system.

But this is old news; perhaps I'm waxing nostalgic.

Kris

--
Kriston J. Rehberg
AOL: Kriston                        http://kriston.net/