Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:15:42 -0600
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <syjef@mdanderson.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Gestur A. Grjetarsson" <gestur@ec.is>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on IBM Blade Center?

--nextPart1249863.H3qW2XboVe

On Wednesday 28 December 2005 07:32, Gestur A. Grjetarsson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have IBM Blade with Qlogic 2312 adapters using DS400 SAN
>
> now I have learned that after over 10 years of good FreeBSD experience on
> various sorts of hardware, I can't use FreeBSD anymore as it does'nt work
> on IBM Blade. I have read alot on this problem trying to solve this probl=
em
> and done alot of testing and hacking but without any progress.
>
> so I have two questions:
>
> is FreeBSD going to support IBM Blade?
>
> if it is going to support and work on IBM Blade, can you give me an
> estimation on when it will be ready to run on IBM Blade?

The blade center is a bizarre beast and it is difficult to make the officia=
lly=20
supported Operating Systems work correctly with it.  We had difficulties=20
making AIX work properly on the JS20 blade, for instance.  With IBM hardwar=
e,=20
it is best to stick with officially supported products.  Sometimes, IBM=20
doesn't support something for a reason...

I would be (pleasantly) surprised to laern you were able to attach FreeBSD =
to=20
IBM storage.  Of course, IBM will provide you with no help in either of=20
these, and I wouldn't venture to guess if you can do concurrent maintenance=
=20
on your DS4000 with FreeBSD running.

=2D-=20
Jonathan Fosburgh