Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 1998 09:36:49 -0500
From:      "Evan Champion" <evanc@synapse.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Instant trap on make installworld

------=_NextPart_000_0173_01BD2EF4.EBC50EE0

Configuration:

2.2.5-STABLE client mounts /usr/obj and /usr/src off a 2.2.5-STABLE server.
On the server, these directories are on /exports, and are loopback-mounted
to /usr/obj and /usr/src via NULLFS so that make won't get confused about
the pathname differences.

The client's make world works great.  The problem comes when I go to the
server, and try to make installworld based on the client's build.  During
the first line of the make, the server panics:

cd /usr/src &&
PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/sr
c/tmp/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin
BISON_SIMPLE=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/share/misc/bison.simple
COMPILER_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/libexec:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin
GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib/
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib
LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib
CC='cc -nostdinc' /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin/make reinstall

Fatal trap 18: integer divide fault while in kernel mode
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf01b00b8
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xefbffdfc
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xefbffe48
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 196 (make)
interrupt mask          =
panic: integer divide fault

(IIRC, it isn't always this panic, but it always panics instantly...)

The loopback filesystems seem to work fine for all other purposes, so I'm at
a loss to explain why the server fails.  The only thing I can see is that it
points all the

FYI, there are a couple reasons why I am not building this on the server.
The first is that I am forcing myself to treat that box like a NetApp or
somesuch -- it's just a big disk on the net which I'm not allowed to play
around with.  The other is that for some reason if I do too much on that
box, it will also panic.  I think that the particular -STABLE I put on there
originally isn't particularly stable :-) but as long as the box is left
alone, it runs just great as an NFS server.  We've verified the RAM and are
quite sure it isn't a hardware fault.  This panic is always something like:

fault virtual address   = 0x0
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0x0
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xefbffb48
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xefbffb84
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 1304 (install)
interrupt mask          =
panic: page fault

As a side note, is there a way to get this to work with symlinks instead of
NULLFS?

Attached is my kernel config.  The only "odd" thing is that I'm running the
latest dpt drivers for 2.2.5-STABLE (version 1.2.4).  This box was installed
using January 22's 2.2.5-STABLE snap, and has never successfully been
updated, due to the above problems.

Evan

------=_NextPart_000_0173_01BD2EF4.EBC50EE0

# piano

machine		"i386"
cpu		"I586_CPU"
ident		PIANO
maxusers	256

options		INET			#InterNETworking
options		FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options		NFS			#Network Filesystem
options		MSDOSFS			#MSDOS Filesystem
options		PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options		"COMPAT_43"		#Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]

options		DEVFS			#devices filesystem
options		NULLFS			#NULL filesystem
options		SHOW_BUSYBUFS		#List buffers that prevent root unmount

config		kernel	root on sd0

controller	isa0
controller	pci0

controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
disk		fd1	at fdc0 drive 1

# A single entry for any of these controllers (ncr, ahb, ahc, amd) is
# sufficient for any number of installed devices.
controller  dpt0
options     DPT_MEASURE_PERFORMANCE
options     DPT_TIMEOUT_FACTOR=4       # This one is MANDATORY.

controller	scbus0

device		sd0
device		st0

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr

# Mandatory, don't remove
device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" flags 0x1 irq 13 vector npxintr

device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device		sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

# Order is important here due to intrusive probes, do *not* alphabetize
# this list of network interfaces until the probes have been fixed.
# Right now it appears that the ie0 must be probed before ep0. See
# revision 1.20 of this file.
device de0
device fxp0

pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	ether
pseudo-device	bpfilter	4
pseudo-device	log
pseudo-device	pty		16

# KTRACE enables the system-call tracing facility ktrace(2).
# This adds 4 KB bloat to your kernel, and slightly increases
# the costs of each syscall.
options		KTRACE		#kernel tracing

# These three options provide support for System V Interface
# Definition-style interprocess communication, in the form of shared
# memory, semaphores, and message queues, respectively.
#
options		SYSVSHM
options		SYSVSEM
options		SYSVMSG