Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 1997 12:58:31 +0100 (MET)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        md6tommy@mdstud.chalmers.se, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thread at Redhat

> > My local guru appears to be out of date in his recommendation of freeBSD
> > over Linux. I've been running RH as a web server in test mode and I've
>
> I'm glad that you found an OS to suit you, but I still totally fail to
> see how your evidence of how this "guru" is out of date with his
> recommendation.  FreeBSD makes an excellent web server, as numerous
> ISPs (from Yahoo on down) will attest.

What do you expect?  If somebody ask the Red Hat Linux mailing-lists,
(s)he'll get the answer that Red Hat Linux works for running a web
server.  It does.  If that somebody had asked the FreeBSD
mailing-lists if FreeBSD works for running a web server, he'd get a
yes too - because it works too.

A much more interesting question to ask is 'how many of you have
switched from X to Y?" for the relevant Xes and Ys, in the appropriate
forums.  And ask them why.

Personally, I switched from Linux to FreeBSD because FreeBSD had much
better performance and "felt much more right" - everything was there,
it was obvious that this was an operating system people had lived in
for a long time, and fitted to themselves - and it fit me too.

These days, Linux is catching up performance-wise - some places
FreeBSD is better, some places Linux is better.  My personal
impression is that FreeBSD still is a hair better on average, but it
is no longer order-of-magnitude better for most things.

The main reason I'm sticking with FreeBSD didn't occur to me until
after I started using it - the professional mind-set of it's community.
Linuxers (in my experience) tend to be much more young hot-shots with
little Unix-experience before they started using Linux, and little
large-scale development experience.  The development of FreeBSD
reflect its developers; it is managed in a professional manner.  This
allow me to do things like re-compile the operating system from source
with a single command, verify what has happened to a file to create a
problem I'm seeing, and keep a system up to date with the latest
security patches on a day to day basis automatically.

I'd never go back to Linux now.

Eivind.