Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 08:27:08 -0700
From:      Chris Faehl <cfaehl@cs.unm.edu>
To:        Jin Guojun (ITG staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any work being done on ATM NIC drivers?

> Chris Faehl (cfaehl@cs.unm.edu) wrote:
> >         I know a few folks have been working on ATM drivers for various
> > NICs - does anyone have release-quality drivers, and if so, for what
> > boards?
>   http://www.msci.magic.net/harp/harp2.html
> I test it about a couple of month ago, most things are working except VLAN.
> It supports FORE and Efficient (need patches).
>
> > I'm particularly interested in FORE boards, as my impression of
> > ATM so far seems to be that most interoperability occurs when using
> > same-vendor equipment. Please feel to correct my impression if I'm wrong.
>
> I have a prodution ATM driver of Zeitnet NIC for FreeBSD and BSD/OS all
> releases. Since Cabletron bought Zeitnet, it stopped shipping Zeitnet NIC.
> So, I have suspend the public release for this driver.
> Cabletron is going to used FORE NIC, so I will support FORE card in next
> quarter, as well as Efficient thereafter. The currect performance is 130Mbps
> under BSD/OS 3.1 and 76Mbps under FreeBSD due to the bug of scaled window
> in FreeBSD.
>
> There is no interoperability issue by using different ATM equipment, say
> switch, NIC, etc. I have Interphase, Sun, Zeitnet, FORE, Efficient, SGI, otoo
> ATM NIC all connected to FORE, NewBridge and BayNET switchs running for
> many years. I did not see any critical problem. The issue may be some are
> easy to use, v.s. others are harder.

Thanks! I suspected I was wrong, but we've had issues attaching certain
equipment to our ATM boxes (specifically, our NetAPP fore card only supported
SPANS, so we had to have some SPANS compatible equipment attached to it).

This is very encouraging information. Thank you again.

> 	-Jin

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-atm" in the body of the message

Chris Faehl			      | Email: cfaehl@cs.unm.edu
The University of New Mexico          | URL:   http://www.cs.unm.edu/~cfaehl
Computer Science Dept., Rm. FEC 313   | Phone: 505/277-3016
Albuquerque, NM  87131  USA           | FAX:   505/277-6927