Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 03:51:23 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Heiko Recktenwald" <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        "David Johnson" <djohnson@acuson.com>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Innovation and Promotion

So are automobiles but with enough money it looks like they have been
reduced to a steering wheel, gas pedal, and a fancy computer that
controls heat, A/c, light, brakes, engine, seatbelt, garage door opener,
entertainment center and coffee maker.  And one day you won't even have the
steering wheel or the gas pedal and even the person with an total IQ no higher
than 65 can jump in the car and drive off.  Isn't technology grand? :-)
(although as the average driver's IQ seems to be heading in that direction,
perhaps this is a good thing. ;-)

Seriously, the poster has a lot of validity in a lot of what he's
posted.  He is right on the mark in that the Linux people really are
trying to make Linux palatable to the Windows-fodder-raised users.  My only
concern with it is that you cannot continually simplify the definition of the
market forever and have it still retain meaning.  His undoing is in trying to
overgeneralize.  People do want solutions, yes, but everyone's definition of a
solution does not fit into the same shoebox.

>The other way would be the end of the universal computer, like Organisers
>or handies.

We are there already - but the market still sees value in the universal
computer so it hasn't gone away, instead the specific computers have just
ended up accentuating the universal one.