Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 17:18:14 -0700
From:      "Michael W. Akers" <mwakers@home.com>
To:        "shreela@dcnet2000.com" <shreela@dcnet2000.com>, "'dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au'" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Win on master/BSD on slave?

Doug,
It's actually a lot easier for a collage student in the USA to get a =
computer or even a second computer. First they are cheaper, second they =
are usually donated by businesses or from families that have outgrown =
their older system, etc. As for maintaining a MS Windows box, most all =
collages require information technology conformity. Even though the =
students will be working on Unix, Windows, VAX, VMS, etc. When =
submitting reports and getting information from the collage they must =
use Windows (for collages this is a comfortable level of conformity). =
This was why I was suggesting she go to a dual system as opposed to just =
FreeBSD or some sort of dual boot arraignment.=20

Plus if she asks around campus (especially if she asks any of the =
computer 'nerds') she could probably get the second system for a song. =
Most collages also hold flea markets, in which computers are sold for a =
pittance. If her parents wanted to buy the second box they could get her =
one for around $300.00 through mail order. She can also apply for a US =
Government grant for scholastic needs (Computers, etc.) she doesn't even =
need to pay it back, just maintain a 3.0 grade average or better.=20

By having both OS's, networking them together, etc. She will have a =
learning and skill set that will get her a better job after collage than =
if she didn't. As for printing, have BSD lpr filter through a =
ghostscript filter and then send it to NT for printing. I do and it =
works like a charm. ( I have become thoroughly discussed with Unix =
printing, I now just have Unix spool it and send it to NT for processing =
).=20

If she takes my advice and documents everything, she can get credit for =
it in more than one venue. I.e. If she is also taking Technical Writing =
she could also submit it for extra credit work also. :P

By working with both OS's she will be gaining very valuable skills for =
the current job market (and future too). I do hope she takes this to her =
councilor though, I think she will be very surprised at the sheer scope =
of the possibilities awaiting her.

The soap box is now yours....

Michael W. Akers
M. Akers Enterprises
Unix/NT Systems Administration and Systems Integration