Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 21:37:39 +1000
From:      "Michael Vince" <pvince@bigpond.net.au>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   scp/sftp large file transfers always fail

I have been trying to transfer large files over scp and sftp but they always
stall / time out and fail.
If they are small its ok like around 10megs its ok.
But when they are like 50megs or 300megs they ALWAYS fail!
I have tryed everything SSH built into freebsd.
ssh v3 and v2 from ssh.com.
SSH from /usr/ports/security/openssh-portable
I have tryed every cipher in ssh1 and ssh V2 and I had more luck transfering
files to the machine its connecting to but if I connect to a machine and scp
the file back it always files. I use key based authentication.
EG
-rw-r--r--   1 michael  michael  331808388 Jul 25 17:51 file.tar.gz
These are the typical commands I have used
scp -C michael@192.168.1.77:/home/michael/file.tar.gz
/usr/home/michael/backups2/file.tar.gz
scp michael@192.168.1.77:/home/michael/file.tar.gz
/usr/home/michael/backups2/file.tar.gz
And all the different possible ciphers
Then I will end up with this
file.tar.gz            6% |****
| 20392 KB  - stalled -
And then a timeout.
ssh 192.168.1.77 tar -cz -g $tardata $backupdirs -f - " | dd
of=$path/today/$servername-FULL-$date.tar.gz
or even sftp, they all fail.
I am using new hardware.. intel 100mbit cards on pentium 3 /celeron
machines.
Tryed on machine different machines and many different versions of stable
4.3
I just want to make it work! but everything I try fails, I am going crazying
trying to make this work! I dont want to have to make a compromise and use
something else I mean scp and sftp are for transfering files right?
And also why doesn't OpenSSH have DSA support for scp and sftp like
ssh.com's scp2 and sftp2?
I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks