Date:      Tue, 2 Sep 2003 05:13:34 -0500
From:      Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlist2@HotPOP.com>
To:        Randi Harper <sektie@freebsdgirl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ugly Huge BSD Monster

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:07:03 -0400
Randi Harper <sektie@freebsdgirl.com> wrote:
> My mom runs FreeBSD. ;)

Cool, I set my sister up with a FreeBSD box and Windowmaker awhile back. It has
worked out well for her.

> A desktop of it's own? Let's clarify something here. Having something
> like gnome or KDE doesn't qualify something as being a 'desktop' or
> not. Surely you can recall the days before gnome and KDE were popular.
> What did we use then? Window Maker? Enlightenment? KDE was somewhat
> popular, but it didn't have the momentum it has now. Yes, those are
> aimed at the Linux people. And for what it's worth, let them have it.
> gnome and KDE are the toilet paper of the stinky gas station bathroom
> that is X11, in my opinion.
>
> GTK, an integral part of gnome, works fine in FreeBSD. Instead of
> people just sitting on their butts and whining 'I need a GUI, I need
> things to click on, I want something that does stuff for me so I can be
> a freaking moron but still be able to brag about my uname -a on IRC',
> wouldn't it make sense to code one? I realize that's easier said than
> done, but it really isn't that difficult to code with GTK/GLib at all,
> and in doing so we'd stick with a look and feel that everyone is
> familiar with and is well supported and integrated into a variety of
> applications.

GTK is nice. I am begining to look at it a bit, myself.

> If there's one thing I've noticed by (mostly) idling on this mailing
> list, it's that people love to say "we need this", and "it should be
> this way", or "someone should code this", but no one ever wants to put
> forth the time to help. It's complete BS. Well, here it is, for what
> it's worth. I'm willing to put time into this if someone is willing to
> help. I'd do it on my own, but I've only been doing GTK coding for a
> few months. My C is mediocre at best, and my understanding of the way
> X11 handles things is nil. From what I've read, the X11 standard is
> complete trash, and I'm not delving into that alone. And if no one
> wants to step forward to help, none of you have anywhere to stand in
> this discussion.

X11 rulz. I personally like how it handles things and the methodology behind it.
The lack of a specific way of creating a GUI is really nice.