Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2007 12:20:06 GMT
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/115054: NTP errors out on startup but restart of NTP fixes problem

The following reply was made to PR i386/115054; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To: Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au>
Cc: "Chauncey N. Menefee" <cmenefee@prism-grp.com>,  freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org,  freebsd-i386@freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 14:00:35 +0200

 Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au> writes:
 > Several versions of FreeBSD have annoying behaviouor for network
 > startup, involving the network not actually being up when ifconfig
 > returns and subsequent different mishandling of this by various
 > utilities.  [...]
 > This problem seems to get worse with each release of FreeBSD and/or
 > with newer NICs.  I never noticed fxp or even ed or rl NICs.  Now it
 > is barely noticeable with fxp and very noticeable with sk, bge and em
 > NICs.

 I have never seen this with any of the cards I've used (xl, fxp, rl, re,
 sis, bge, sk, msk and probably others, in no particular order).

 Perhaps there is a hardware issue involved?  Does the problem occur if
 you hardcode the link speed instead of relying on autonegotiation?

 DES
 --=20
 Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no