Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 08:00:29 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        ian j hart <ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk>
Cc:        "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Updating RELENG_4_3

ian j hart <ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk> types:
> cd /usr/src;make update (CVS) pulls down RELENG_4 not RELENG_4_3.
> There should at least be a warning in UPDATING. Shouldn't
> this be a variable in make.conf?

cvsup doesn't have an argument to set the tag. Since a single supfile
can fetch multiple collections with different tags, such an argument
doesn't make a lot of sense.

Which is why make.conf uses the SUPFILE variable to specify a supfile
to use. Either a new file should be added to /usr/share/examples/cvsup
for this branch, or a comment should be added to the stable-supfile.

> While I'm on the subject, different output for uname -a would
> be _really_ useful (4.3-SECURITY?). How else can you tell you
> have RELENG_4_3?

I think having a name for it would be a good idea in general. For that
new example supfile for example.

	<mike