Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 07:16:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        sa264@cam.ac.uk, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hangs with sysctl -a

>Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 13:52:11 +0100
>From: AMAKAWA Shuhei <sa264@cam.ac.uk>

>Has anybody tried 'sysctl -a ' on a recent -STABLE?

I hadn't until your report....

>My i386 machine hangs reproducibly.
>Built sometime after src/sys/kern/subr_disk.c rev 1.20.2.2,
>which could possibly be the culprit.
>OK, I haven't provided sufficient information nor have I attempted
>to narrow down the problem, but could anybody just let me know if it
>works on your machine or not?
>It's easy to test, ..well if you don't mind hanging it.
>Thanks.

OK; I tested it, and got the reported hang.

I then re-booted & tried again -- this time, outside of the X
environment.  Big difference I noticed was that the command (the second
time around) did output a lot of variables & values; here are the last
several reported:

kerm.fscale: 2048
kern.devstat.numdevs: 4
kern.devstat.generation: 4
kern.devstat.version: 4

...and that's where it hung.

This is on a -STABLE as of this morning:
FreeBSD dhcp-133.catwhisker.org 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #30: Mon May 28 06:33:53 PDT 2001     root@dhcp-133.catwhisker.org:/common/S2/obj/usr/src/sys/LAPTOP_30W  i386

built from sources updated from a local CVS repository that was updated:
CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Sat May 26 03:47:01 PDT 2001
CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Sat May 26 03:52:48 PDT 2001
CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Sun May 27 03:47:01 PDT 2001
CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Sun May 27 03:53:36 PDT 2001
CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Mon May 28 03:47:00 PDT 2001
CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Mon May 28 03:53:51 PDT 2001

The machine is my laptop, where I've been tracking -STABLE daily since
early March.  There's some information about it at
http://www.catwhisker.rog/~david/FreeBSd/laptop.html.

I have not tried booting in single-user mode to try it yet; I'm willing,
if there's reason to believe it might make a difference.

I should be able to perform reasonable experiments upon request.

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.