Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 06:40:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   We need hard data to complement opinion

Ideas area great. Many of them are shared here on these lists.
Cataloging and acting on all of these ideas is nearly impossible.
Eventually, discussion should come to action which advances the user
base of FreeBSD.

Hopefully this message is the genesis of a more concrete approach to
advancing FreeBSD.

I think that an advocacy survey should be created. Data should be
gathered. I can think of a number of questions that can be asked
regarding the issue of advocacy.

Should FreeBSD go commercial?
Should FreeBSD be marketed as competitive with other free OSes or
cooperative?
Should FreeBSD be dumbed down for the mass market?

I could go on. I would rather leave the rest open for discussion by my
peers. I hope that this thread generates some "questions" that can be
useful in determining a course of action regarding advancing the FreeBSD
cause.

Questions that are crafted should provide useful information. Questions
should not betray a bias. We can talk about this as well.

If you have a pet advocacy idea, then submit it in the form of a
question for the survey. We can find out for sure if the idea has
widespread support.

If this generates enough interest, perhaps we can become more formal in
our data gathering mission. Maybe if a good survey can be engineered
then we can formally commit it to a web page.

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html