Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 19:14:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing sendmail (Re: non-root users binding to ports < 1024 (was: Re: BoS: Exploit for sendmail smtpd bug (ver. 8.7-8.8.2

> [ cc line trimmed, no point in making people read this more than once ]
>
> > gated/routed switch is currently handled.  One can simply install the
> > qmail port (I assume there is one!) and then toggle a few bits.
>
> You don't need a port. I installed qmail on our firewall and it dropped
> right in.

The function of a port also includes the ability to automatically build
and install a software package so that a new user does not need to do
all the grunt work.  You need a port.  You want a port.

> But... OK, fine, y'all are so used to sendmail you can't imagine using
> anything else. Subject dropped.

Sorry, Peter, I have to agree with the others:  replacing a known and
supported quantity (Sendmail) with an unknown quantity (Qmail) is most
likely a bad idea.  Making it a documented option, easy for someone to
select and install, is certainly not unreasonable, but making it the
default is not really acceptable.  I don't see other OS vendors dropping
Sendmail in favor of Qmail...

... JG