Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 10:31:42 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

>Freebsd is *not* a commercial company and there is no benefit to secrecy.
>Why does a "free" OS have secrets? And this is not about fixing bugs,
>believe me I understand about bugs, its about having to reengineer
>freebsd based systems every couple of months.....
>
>I'm just getting tired of getting hit in the nuts for not supporting
>-current....the fact that the release is out of date a week after its
>out is a very bad thing and really needs to change...

   Dennis, the "secrecy" that Jordan eluded to concerns the "commercial
interest" of other companies. For those of us that know what's going on
in the bigger picture, we aren't at liberty to discuss what those companies
are planning; you'll have to wait for their announcements. One or more of
them might have a significant impact on the development of SMP for FreeBSD.
You'll just have to wait.

-DG

David Greenman