Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 1994 07:48:23 -0500
From:      starkhome!gene@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu (Gene Stark)
To:        fsl.noaa.gov!kelly@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu (Sean Kelly)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP acts ODDLY (was Re: FreeBSD 2.0R + SLIP = crashes: the plot thickens)

>(smtp, daytime, sink, etc.).  And forget name-addr resolution.  My
>resolv.conf is pointed to his nameserver, but any hostname specified,
>or even nslookup, gives a timeout.

>Plus, the netstat command acts oddly: netstat -r or netstat -i print
>their banner information, then wait for QUITE SOME TIME, then finally
>print their info.  If I kill pppd, then the commands start working
>fine again.

Netstat uses the resolver, unless you specify "-n".  So if name resolution
is not working, netstat will hang waiting to translate IP addresses to
hostnames.

>Then, the fun begins.  I can telnet to the world if I specify IP
>addresses.  Each connection lasts only thirty seconds or so---then it
>just hangs there.  Sames true for incoming connections---to any port
>(smtp, daytime, sink, etc.).  And forget name-addr resolution.  My
>resolv.conf is pointed to his nameserver, but any hostname specified,
>or even nslookup, gives a timeout.

As a wild guess, are your hardware flow control lines (RTS/CTS) configured
properly on the modem, and do you have a full modem cable that passes
these signals?  It might be that the 30 seconds is how long it takes before
you get some kind of overrun that drops info and hangs the protocol.

I have no problems whatsoever with PPP between FreeBSD-current and
a Sparc ELC running dp 2.3 under SunOS 4.1.x.

							- Gene