Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:45:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        Steve Lumos <slumos@nevada.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: is "stable" "stable"?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Steve Lumos wrote:

> likely going to want to think twice about running [-CURRENT]."  There
> are a lot more people who ought to think twice about running -CURRENT
> then just those who are "new to FreeBSD".

I thought we were discussing -STABLE?  Yes, I think we all agree there are
a lot of people who should think twice before running -CURRENT.  I thought
wordage was already in place that pointed to this.

> Do you dislike that sentence because you claim that -STABLE has been
> widely tested, or that it should be depended on to work, or both?

I dislike it for the reasons pointed to in my earlier post.

> <minor> is instead.  I would be interested to hear somebody
> authoritative correct that, but otherwise it means the handbook needs
> to be fixed.  No big deal, seems to be happening already, everybody be
> happy.

I suppose now we're arguing over whether it really needs to be 'fixed', or
simply 'massaged' to a form that satisfies everyone (which I also alluded
to in my previous post).

'Fixed' implies some inheirent brokeness I'm not necessarily ready to
admit.  Afterall, if it's as broken as you seem to think, I guess
deploying actually stable FreeBSD machines in production environemnts for
the past 3-4 years has just been 'luck'.

No document of this nature can be static.  Things change, updates
have to be made.  Hopefully some of the individuals making change
suggestions are actually submitting diffs, etc. as well.

Later,
-Mike